5 decal variants:
1. F-4A-1-LO, 3rd Photo Group, Laghouat, Algeria, April 1943
2. F-4-LO, of No 1 PRU, RAAF, Coomalie Creek, Australia, 1943
3. F-4-LO, of 8PRS, Port Moresby, 1943. Later No.75 Aq. RAAF
4. F-4C, of the 8PRG at Barrackpur, India, 1943
5. F-4A, of 1st Sgn. of GR II/33, Henri Pomigliano d'Arco, Italy, 1944
The P-38E featured a revised nose wheel, which provided more space for gun ammunition. The same space allowed. Ninety nine F-4-1s were built, based on the P-38E. They carried two K-17 fixed vertical cameras in place of the guns. Unlike the standard P-38E, the F-4-1 could carry external fuel tanks. The F-4-1 was the first version of the Lightning to see active service, with the 8th Photo Reconnaissance Squadron in Australia, beginning in April 1942.